When it’s hot, anything that may help you from sweating and getting burnt by the scorching sun is welcome. This is when switching fabrics will go a long way. When the mercury skyrockets, warmer materials like polyester and wool should be stored away and swapped out for their cooler counterparts – cotton and linen. Linen is the best answer to any questions about what to wear during summer. And it’s no wonder linen has become a big part of summer fashion.
Linen is one of the oldest fabrics people have used, dating back at least 36,000 years ago. Although this fabric has gone in and out of fashion in its history, there’s no denying just how popular it is in the summer months. And there are several other reasons why this fabric is so in-demand lately. Keep scrolling to learn more about this fabric.
Why you should add linen to your summer outfits
- Lightweight and breathable: Linen fibres are hollow, allowing air to pass freely. This lets the fabric dry quickly and absorbs all the extra moisture, keeping you cool and fresh in the heat.
- Strong and durable: The fabric is considered one of the strongest natural fibres used. It is made of fibres from the flax plant and woven tightly, making it strong and increasing its longevity compared to other clothing.
- Natural fibre: Linen is also a great option for those who are environmentally conscious. The fibre is 100% natural and biodegradable. The entire flax plant is woven into the fibre, also meaning it is a much more sustainable choice.
- Moisture-wicking: As linen is highly porous, it is naturally moisture-wicking. The fabric can absorb up to 20% of its weight. So in summer, it absorbs the sweat from your body efficiently and quickly dries without becoming damp and uncomfortable.
- Hypoallergenic: One of the reasons linen is hypoallergenic is that it is entirely natural and does not contain any common substances known to be skin irritants. The other reason is that the tightly woven fibres of linen make it harder for allergens to get trapped in the fabric, keeping it clean from dust and other allergenic substances.
- Antibacterial: The fabric naturally contains antiseptic and antibacterial properties that inhibit the growth of bacteria. Linen’s ability to dry quickly also adds to its antibacterial nature. Damp clothing is a breeding ground for bacteria and mold, so linen saves you from the possibility of skin infections and other bacterial infections.
- Natural insect repellent: With linen, you don’t have to worry about moths or other insects causing harm to your clothing.
Summer linen shirts to try this season
This year, Linen Love is sponsored by menswear favourite Celio. Their wide range of minimalistic and smart linen shirts is perfect for any man this summer. Here are some of the styles you can’t miss out on.
The linen mandarin collar shirt in navy blue is one smart addition to summer styles for men. The well-fitted shirt is the perfect choice for the office and a casual day out.
The pink slim fit casual shirt has a more relaxed vibe, especially when worn with rolled-up sleeves that come with button cuffs. Slip this shirt on and pair it with blue jeans for an unforgettable summer outfit.
Sage green is another popular soothing colour for the season. Create your beach outfits for men with this regular fit casual shirt. It would look equally dashing with a pair of shorts as it would with denims.
Get ready to impress your significant other with this white mandarin collar shirt. The simple style has a classy appeal that a pair of black or grey trousers would bring out.
Swap long sleeves for their cooler counterparts with this regular fit casual shirt in beige. Short sleeves and a spread collar come together to light up your men’s summer fashion choices.
Love a hint of blue in your linen outfits? Then you will love this light blue regular fit casual shirt. The full-sleeved shirt can be added to a monochrome outfit when paired with blue denims. A pair of white sneakers will be a stylish finishing touch.
Being a natural fabric, linen looks best in earthy colours, as seen in this brown regular fit casual shirt. Detailed with a textured finish and a curved hemline, you can add it to beige or white pants for summer outfits for men.
A black linen shirt will go a long way in your wardrobe. Black is easy to match with other garments in your wardrobe. This is why you should make the black textured regular fit casual shirt one of your go-to summer linen shirts.
If you’re one to shy away from colour then your summer linen clothes should include a shirt like this light grey one. The subtle textured regular fit casual shirt will blend easily into the rest of your wardrobe.
Another grey option to add to summer clothes for men, this regular fit casual shirt comes with two chest buttoned flap pockets, a spread collar and long sleeves.