December is here, and everyone is buzzing with ideas for throwing parties or deciding which of the most happening places in town to hit to dance the night away. From low-key house parties to clubs bursting with music to dinner dates and the most-awaited night of the year – New Year’s Eve – on the way, there are so many events lined up on the calendar, begging for your attention. And if you’ve been running in circles wondering what to wear, don’t worry; we’ve got you covered. With some of the most stylish looks of the season here, our mini-guide for you and your SO (significant other) will ensure you are the showstopper at every event.
Before getting to the outfits, how do you know what to wear to a party? Here are some quick tips to help you decide on the theme of your ensemble:
- Know the event: Understand what kind of event you’re going to. Is it casual, or is it formal? Does the party have a theme? Is it a special celebration, like a birthday or anniversary? If you’re unsure, don’t hesitate to ask the host. Different events call for different themes, so the best way to fit in with the crowd is to go prepared.
- Prepare for the weather: It doesn’t have to be said that you’d have to dress differently for an outdoor event compared to an indoor one, especially during these cold winter months. If the occasion is being held outdoors, decide on your outfit based on the outerwear you will wear to keep warm. The time of day also matters when deciding on your outfit.
- Know your body: Regardless of how gorgeous a dress may look on a mannequin, it’s not always the same when you try it on. This is because every person’s body is different. Some of us are top-heavy, while others have wider hips. Take into consideration what looks good on your body to get the best out of your outfit.
- Don’t underestimate personal style: Great fashion is not copying a look you saw in a magazine or on a model on the runway. It’s about you. Your style is what matters. Even if you take inspiration from an expert, give it a twist with your personal touch. Not only will you feel more comfortable and confident, but you will also be unique.
- Options are good: Don’t box yourself in with just a single outfit. Try out a few different styles and see how you look before picking one.
Now that you know what to look for, here’s some style inspiration to create the best party looks for this season.
Party wear for women
It’s not just about party wear western dresses this season! If you like that over-the-top glittery look, this outfit is definitely for you. The straight pants from Ginger covered in shimmering silver embellishments speak for themselves. They add the extra oomph needed for party wear. Team these pants with the peplum top in black from Faballey. With sheer puffed sleeves and a V-neckline, it will be the perfect complement to the silver pants.
A statement top will always go a long way with party wear looks. And for that reason, this purple crop top from Faballey is the right choice for you. Designed with full-length puff sleeves, a pleated hem and tie-up detailing, it will lend a stylish appeal. Show off your midriff by pairing it with Fame Forever’s white skinny jeans that sculpt your legs. Stiletto heels, drop earrings and a clutch are all you need for that wow factor.
Stand out from the crowd in this blue velvet top from Faballey. The textured V-neck wrap top looks chic, especially when clubbed with Ginger’s black textured shorts. Showcase your style by adding a pair of black boots to this look!
Who needs a party wear dress for women when you can make an impression in a jumpsuit? It’s called a “power” jumpsuit for a reason! Get all heads turning in this sleeveless jumpsuit from Indya. Featuring a surplice neckline, embellished details and sharara-styled pants, you can wear it to an ethnic or western occasion – simply accessorise to match your preference!
There’s nothing more stunning than a red dress for a party. So this piece from Allen Solly should be at the top of your list of party wear dress for women ideas. The simple bodycon dress with black colour blocks has a body-hugging silhouette so you can flaunt your curves. Team it with drop earrings, a statement bracelet and a chain clutch bag for an unforgettable night.
Party wear for men
Polo t-shirts have always been a favourite in menswear and are great for smart party wear options too. Pair this red Polo t-shirt from Fahrenheit with Louis Philippe Sport’s navy blue casual trousers. The navy blue colour blocking on the Polo’s collar matches well with the trousers. Complete your look with a pair of comfy sneakers.
When it comes to casual party wear dresses for men, nothing’s better than a shirt like this one from V Dot. Detailed with an intriguing print that looks shimmery, the maroon shirt tailored for the perfect fit and comfort can be teamed with the black stonewashed skinny fit jeans from Jack & Jones for a chic look. A pair of white sneakers with red highlights would be the right accessory for your ensemble.
Looking for something more formal for an event? This outfit from Louis Philippe has your name written all over it. Featuring a lilac purple slim-fit formal shirt with a light all-over print and pin-striped tapered formal trousers in grey, it will lend a sophisticated look. Oxford shoes and a matching belt are all you need as accessories.
For attire that’s more casual and relaxed, you can turn to this black and blue combination. Upgrade your basic black t-shirt with this colour-blocked crew neck tee from Forca – a more appropriate men’s party wear t-shirt. Top it with the bulky quilted jacket from Celio in black, detailed with the super-stylish faux fur trim on the collar. The stonewashed skinny fit jeans from Jack & Jones will complete this outfit that is so easy on the eyes.
Refine how you wear your denim jackets with inspiration from this ensemble. The elegant full-sleeved turtleneck sweater from Celio in a stark white colour will provide the blank canvas for your denim jacket to shine. The right pick for this occasion comes from Celio’s stonewashed denim jacket with a grey hood. You don’t need to look any further for the right trousers when you have these Jack & Jones trousers with a checked pattern.