Shoes for women have grown to mean more than a functional article that protects your feet. They are today an accessory, a fashion must-have and even an expression of your personality in some ways. It is this same reasoning that contributes to the belief that one can never own too many types of shoes for women.
While there is more than plenty of choice in women’s footwear, knowing the basic kinds will help you explore your own preferences in types of shoes for women. So continue reading to know more.
Types of Women’s Footwear – A Style Guide of Shoes for Every Shoe Rack
This is a list of different types of women’s shoes that should call your footwear closet their home.
No list of types of shoes for women can be complete without the inclusion of heels. They have basically closed pairs with an elevated ‘heel’ at the back, hence the name. You will find different footwear that showcases various types of heels, such as:
- Stilettoes – The classic stiletto is a characterised by a thin heel, with a diameter less than half an inch. This heel can be from one inch to as high as ten inches in length. The structure has an instant effect on the posture of the wearer, also giving an elongated appearance to your legs. Depending on whether the occasion is formal or dressy, there are complementing pairs for your business suits as well as evening gowns.
- Kitten Heels – When the heel is less than two inches long, it is called a ‘kitten heel’. The heel sits slightly away from the edge of the shoe and is a bit curved. These types of shoes for women can be found in formal, dressy and casual styles depending on your needs. They are often considered as power shoes that are worn by women in high positions. One of the reasons these heels are favoured is they are very comfortable for prolonged wear.
- Strappy Heels – While considering creative dressy shoes that would elevate stylish ensembles from top clothing brands for women, these are the pairs that come to mind. These types of shoes for women can have an ankle strap, t-strap, lace-ups, corset styles and criss-cross straps, just to name a few. The heel could vary from a stiletto, kitten, cone, spool or block among others which opens up the possibilities for you to create as many evening, dressy or casual looks as you wish to.
- Mules – If you are someone who is looking to enjoy the elevation of a stiletto, escape the discomfort and also not have to deal with straps, then mules are the way to go. These types of shoes for women have an open back, which makes them easy to wear on and take off. The heel is a more sturdy kind, such as the block or the Cuban. But you will also just as well find pairs that do not have a heel at all. It is their versatility in options and convenience that keeps them as a popular pick.
A sandal refers to footwear that has a sole which is held to your foot with a strap/s. It is one of the oldest forms of footwear on the planet and so has evolved into many kinds. It would be quite impossible to list the variety of these types of shoes for women so here are few of the trendiest ones:
- Gladiator Sandals – Inspired by the ancient Greek fighters, these are quite classy sandals. These types of shoes for women have a distinct design which comprises of a flat sole and an upper that is of straps that end at the ankle, calf or even higher. This gives your entire foot a cage-like effect. You can find pairs which are embellished, have beading, thread work or tassels too. They are apt for sporting with casual attire and could also be considered party wear, depending on the style.
- Wedges – As the name suggests, these types of shoes for women have a heel that has a ‘wedge’ shape. They give a cute look to any outfit. Wedge sandals are essentially platform footwear, with a heel that is thicker at the back than it is in front. They are also known as lefties or wedgies and started in the 1940s with a heel made of cork. Since then, even the best handbag brands for women have created accessories to match the wedges that were in vogue at the time.
- Sling Back Sandals – The term ‘slingback’ is used to denote the backstrap, that sits below the ankle, of the shoes. These types of shoes for women can create a delicate look when the front is a close toe and resembles a stiletto, but the back has a strap, instead of being fully covered. The more casual options would be the peep toe and the open toe variations. The low or a medium block heel on such sandals provides the right support for your ankles.
Traditionally, these types of shoes for women were made of leather or rubber. They were distinguished as footwear that covered the foot as well as the ankle and sometimes more of the leg. A boot used to be seen as seasonal or functional shoes, but nowadays they can make a fashion statement too. Below are some of the types of boots for women:
- Thigh High Boots – These kinds of shoes go all the way above the knee to mid-thigh and beyond. They are certainly not for the safe players of fashion as they pack quite a dramatic punch when worn. These are usually paired with short Bodycon dresses, micro shorts or skirts or in place of leggings with overcoats. They have a flattering effect on the length of your legs when styled correctly.
- Ankle Length – Also known as ‘ankle booties’, they are boots that end just above or around the ankle. They are widely popular as they are more adaptable to various climatic conditions and are practical for everyday wearing also. Such types of shoes for women can be dressed up or down effortlessly, be it with a t-shirt and jeans or with a shot cut-out, flared dress.
As the name suggests these types of shoes for women, have a flat sole typically or a minimal heel. They can be worn to dress down or balance an outfit or are functional in nature and are great for prolonged wearing. Here are a few such options in footwear for women:
- Ballerina Flats – These types of shoes for women are obviously inspired by the footwear worn by ballet dancers. They have a completely flat sole that is usually flexible, close front, thin elastic around the opening of the shoe and are of the slip-on variety. These shoes are practical as they are high on comfort, lightness and are an absolute classic when it comes to style.
- Loafers – When you want a pair of footwear that is a step up from ballerina flats, loafers will fit the bill. They are of the slip-on kind, with no fastenings and have a low flat heel. Their shape is comparable to that of a moccasin, and these types of shoes for women can be found in quite a few varieties. Loafers can go from being relaxed, casual to semi-formal, depending on the material and make.
- Sneakers – This kind of footwear are sometimes referred to as ‘trainers’. They were initially invented to meet the needs of sportspersons but gradually gained traction in general fashion globally. These days, the benefits of the support, grip and comfort that they provide can be enjoyed by all. You will find pairs that are for walking, gym training, climbing, running and so forth. The choice of colours for sneakers lets you have fun while wearing them with various sporty or casual ensembles.
- Flip Flops – Every lady’s shoe rack has at least a few pairs of flip flops. The open design has a piece of cut out material which serves as the sole the bottom and the insole on the top side. The strap of this flat sandal is a thong-style one that goes between the big toe and the second toe. Flip flops are the most relaxed style of footwear which can be worn at the beach or even around the house.
Enjoy Online Shopping on Lifestyle
Head to the Lifestyle store online because here you can buy women’s shoes in all the styles you just read about and so much more. There are formal as well as casual, sports shoes for men to cover all your footwear needs for all occasions. You can snap up trendy shoes for kids so that your little ones always have big smiles and happy feet. Shopping is as easy as browsing through every collection of the top 15 lipstick brands to select the shades that catch your eye. Lifestyles make it possible to revamp your wardrobe by sitting right at home. We bring to you genuine products from all your favourite labels at fantastic prices with free shipping options. So visit Lifestyle online right away.
Best lakme beauty products | Top women clothing brands | Top 20 best handbags for women | Top 15 best lipstick brands | Top clothing brands for men and kids | Top jeans brand in India | Top Fastrack Watches for Men below 3000